Saturday, January 07, 2006

I've arrived. Writing in this hot and sticky room, crowded with other people typing away in this internet cafe is a sharp contrast to the posh Starbucks in downtown Barcelona I last wrote from. Downloading pictures may be tough to do. The digs are nice. Everyone from the program lives together in a guest house at the university. Our meals are cooked and it's pretty nice. The shower is a lot larger than what I had in Barcelona. We had a short orientation today and one tomorrow as well. People are friendly but it takes a bit sometimes to understand what they're saying. Some of the other kids don't have a hold on it yet though and it's much harder on them. I just remind myself that my accent must be just as hard for them to understand.

We start our rotations next week and I'm way excited. The first hospital on the list is the Leprosy hospital followed by an STD clinic. Not too bad a start don't you think.

Upon arriving, I had the initial jerk reaction to the living conditions as we drove by the slums on the way from the airport. Seeing people living in such decrepit communities is like a punch to the gut. I've been mulling over it all in my head, trying to get a grasp on everything, and will post later what I wrote the first night. I just wanted to let everyone know I'm here and alive, and enjoying myself.

1 Comments:

At 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"You're wild man, wild!!!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home